Keeping up your winter exercise routine can be difficult once the temperature drops. But maintaining fitness and healthy eating habits through winter will benefit you come summer! We have all heard the term before “ summer bodies are made in winter”
It’s time to try develop long lasting tactics for winter exercise motivation that will keep you inspired to work out."
1. POSITIVE PERSPECTIVE
Have you considered how lucky you actually might be? Realising how fortunate you are can be life changing to your own health and fitness. I am grateful for being a healthy woman. How lucky I am to be able to walk my dog everyday, watching those sunrises and sunsets, releasing those feel good endorphins daily.
When we focus on the positives the health benefits that follow can be linked with lower blood pressure, less heart disease, better weight control and healthier blood sugar levels. Even when faced with an incurable illness, positive feelings and thoughts can greatly improve one's quality of life.
2. SET A GOAL
There’s nothing more motivating than achieving a goal you have set for yourself.
Set realistic goals that include achievable milestones.If it’s a 5k run you want achieve. You might start by setting yourself walk/run goals.
3. SCHEDULE A REGULAR WORKOUT TIME
Some of the most committed exercisers do it every day before the sun comes up or late at night when the kids are in bed. Just like booking in those important weekly appointments. Planning those exercise time slots is key to staying motivated. 3-6 times a week, 30-60mins, depending upon those goals you have set for yourself.
4. THINK FUN AND VARIETY
A change is as good as a holiday! Mixing up your exercise routine on a regularly basis is what is going to keep you motivated.
- Change your walk or run route
- If you’re at a gym try a different class
- Find opportunity in your regular classes to challenge yourself, maybe you can use heavier weights.
- Do something that doesn’t even feel like exercise - Participate in a dance class or organise that game of tennis with friends.
5. UPDATE YOUR WINTER EXERCISE CLOTHES
New activewear helps me keep motivated to train. But making sure through the cooler months you equip yourself with a few key essentials to knock down those excuses.
Here are my tips for great winter exercise clothes:
- Full length tights - make sure they are moisture wicking. You don’t want to stay sweaty after you workout
- Long sleeve top - often it is too cold to start training in just your singlet, so a top that is lightweight that you can train in or later tie around your waist.
- Jackets/jumpers - a warm insulated jacket to get you to and from you workouts.
Subscribe to our newsletter and receive a 15% discount voucher on your first purchase for all your activewear needs!