SPRING STRAWBERRIES AND THEIR BENEFITS
I recently started a 6-challenge at my gym, Crossfit Shellharbour City. Being Spring it is always a good time to clean up your diet, set yourself some health goals and get that spring back in your step ready for summer!!!
So within the food challenge there is a tonne of strawberries. Luckily they are in season!!
Which got me thinking... I know they are good for us, but why? So I’ve decided to delve into strawberries and their benefits.
Why Strawberries Are Good For You
Well here are 10 good reasons why you might want to think about adding more strawberries into your diet:
- They are sweet and delicious
- Contains Vitamin C - this is a well known immunity booster, as well as a powerful, fast working antioxidant
- Maintain healthy vision - the antioxidant properties in strawberries may also help to prevent cataracts
- Ward off cancer - Vitamin C is one of the antioxidants that can help with cancer prevention
- Decrease those aging wrinkles - the power of vitamin C in strawberries continues, as it is vital to the production of collagen, which helps to improve skin’s elasticity and resilience.
- Lower your cholesterol - the antioxidants in strawberries help combat bad cholesterol
- Reduce Inflammation - the antioxidants found in strawberries may also help to reduce inflammation of the joints, which may cause arthritis and can also lead to heart disease.
- Regulate your blood pressure - the potassium found in strawberries can help reduce blood pressure.
- Increase your fibre intake - they are a great source of fibre. Many of us don’t consume enough daily fibre. Problems from low fibre include: constipation, inflammation of the gut and diabetes.
- Weight loss or management - since they are low in calories, fat free and low in sodium and sugar making them a great snack or delicious smoothie
Looking for some inspiration? I found these delicious recipes
- Salmon with Strawberry and basil salsa
- Strawberry nice cream - breakfast bowl
- Lamb and Strawberry quinoa tabouli
- Strawberry Smoothie
Photo Credit: Coles Magazine
Subscribe to our newsletter and receive a 15% discount voucher on your first purchase for all your activewear needs!